Ph.D., Committee on the Ancient Mediterranean World, University of Chicago, 1999
M.A., Committee on the Ancient Mediterranean World, University of Chicago, 1997
M.A., Classics, University of Victoria, Canada, 1992
B.A., Classical History, Languages, and Archaeology, with Honours, University of Calgary, Canada, 1990
AREAS OF RESEARCH INTEREST:
- Ancient history, more specifically Greek and Roman society and culture: clothing and appearance, social attitudes, social structure, women, the family, sexuality, and slavery
- Greek and Roman art and architecture
- Greek and Roman historiography
- Sexuality and appearance in Western culture
DISTINCTIONS AND AWARDS (SELECTED):
- 2012-2014 Teaching Fellow, School of Advanced Study in the Arts and Humanities, Univ. of Western Ontario
- 2011-2013 Faculty Scholar, Faculty of Arts & Humanities, Univ. of Western Ontario
- 2011 Academic Development Fund (for Greek Dress and Romanitas in Roman Antiquity)
- 2008-2011 SSHRC Standard Research Grant for Men, Appearance, and Sexuality in Roman Antiquity
- ed., with A. Batten. Dress and Religion in Mediterranean Antiquity.Proposal accepted, Bloomsbury Press. Forthcoming 2020.
- ed. A Cultural History of Beauty. Vol. I: Antiquity 500 BC -400 CE. Bloomsbury. Forthcoming 2020.
- Masculinity and Dress in Roman Antiquity (Routledge, 2017). 200 + xiii pp.
- Dress and the Roman Woman: Self-Presentation and Society (Routledge, 2008). 171 + xv pp.
Dress and the Roman Woman has been reviewed in:
The BMCR Review
The International Journal of the Classical Tradition
The University of Toronto Quarterly
- ed., with A. Glazebrook. 2009. Nature, Natural: Imagining Women in Greco-Roman Antiquity (Classical World, as a special issue: 102.3).
- “Masculinity, appearance, and sexuality: Roman dandies.” Journal of the History of Sexuality 23.2 (2014): 182-205.
- “Cosmetics in Roman antiquity: substance, remedy, poison.” Classical World 103.2: 2009: 291-310.
- “Insignia lugentium: female mourning garments in Roman antiquity,” in the American Journal of Ancient History 3-4 (2004-05). : 89-130.
- “Roman underwear revisited.” Classical World 96.2 , 201-210.
- “Matrona and whore: the clothing of Roman women” in Fashion Theory 6.4 (2002), 387-420.
- “Roman glass gaming pieces or jewel stones” in Mouseion Series III vol. 1 (2001), 127-138.
BOOK CHAPTERS (SELECTED):
- “Status,” chapter in A Cultural History of Dress and Fashion. Vol. I: Antiquity, ed. M. Harlow (Bloomsbury 2016): 105-18.
- Greek dress in Roman antiquity: status, sexuality, identity” chapter in M. Masterson and N. Rabinowitz (edd) Sex in Antiquity: New Essays on Gender and Sexuality in the Ancient World (Routledge 2014): 422-48.
- “Greek and Roman marriage” (with A. Glazebrook), chapter in T. Hubbard (ed) A Companion to Ancient Sexuality (Wiley Blackwell, 2013): 69-82.
- “Gender and sexuality,” chapter in M. Gibbs, M. Nikolic, and P. Ripat (edd) Themes in Roman Society and Culture: An Introduction to Ancient Rome (Oxford Univ. Press 2013): 164-88.
- “The appearance of the young Roman girl,” in Roman Dress and the Fabric of Roman Culture, eds. J. Edmondson and A. Keith (Univ. of Toronto Press, 2008): 139-57.
PAPERS READ (SELECTED):
- Classical Assoc. of Canada Lecturer, October 2018 (Eastern tour), upcoming: September 2018
- “Fringes on garments in Roman art,” European Association of Archaeologists, Barcelona, Spain, September 2018
- “Ancient Roman hairdressing,” and “Fashion and Elegance in Roman Antiquity,” J. Paul Getty Museum, Malibu, California, July 22, 2018 (invited lecture)
- “Dress and adornment at the Roman imperial court.” Roman imperial court workshop, York University, July 2017
- “Noblewomen and leisure in Roman antiquity.” Classical Association of Canada annual meeting, St. John’s, Canada, May 2017.
- “Poverty, mourning, and sordes in Roman antiquity,” lecture in UWO, Department of Classical Studies, October 2016.
- “Nasica’s toga and the death of Tiberius Gracchus.” Classical Association of Canada annual meeting, Quebec City, Canada, May 2016.
- “Elegance and philosophies of fashion in Roman antiquity,” Dept. of Classics, Univ. of Manitoba, September 2015 (invited)
- “Pearls and patches: status and male footwear in Roman antiquity,” Shoes, Slippers, and Sandals: Feet and Footwear in Antiquity conference, Newcastle-on-Tyne, UK. June 2015.
- “The Antonine Toga.” Classical Association of Canada annual meeting, Montreal, Canada, May 2014.
- “Resurrection and rebirth: the Antonine toga,” Resurrection and Rebirth conference, Dept. of Religious Studies, McGill University, May 2014 (invited lecture)
- “The Color of Masculinity,” lecture in UWO, Department of Classical Studies, February 2014
- “Beware the Ill-Girt Boy: Tunics, Status, and Masculinity in Roman Antiquity,” Kalamazoo College, Michigan, November 2012 (invited lecture)
SERVICE TO THE DISCIPLINE (SELECTED):
- May 2016-18: Communications Officer, Women’s Network, Classical Assoc. of Canada
- May 2012: Invited respondent, panels on “Adornment in the Bible and Antiquity,” Canadian Society for Biblical Studies, Congress (Kitchener-Waterloo)
- May 2012: Organizing chair of the Classical Association of Canada annual meeting (UWO, London, Ontario)
- March 2012: Organizing chair of “Philhellenism and the Romans” (panel at the Theoretical Roman Archaeology Conference, Frankfurt am Main, Germany)
- May 2011: Organizing Chair of “Justice on the Margins in the Ancient World” workshop (UWO; SSHRC funded, May 2011)
- 2010-2013: Member, Classical Association of Canada Council
- March 2010: Organizing Chair of “Justice in the Ancient World” conference (UWO; awarded a SSHRC conference grant, 2010-11: $18,000)
- March 2010: Organizing Chair of “Cloth, Clothing, and Gender in Roman Art.” Theoretical Roman Archaeology Conference panel, Oxford UK